Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A voter virgin no more

I admit with chagrin that today is the first time I've voted. Ever. 

Anyone who knows me well is probably aware that I live in a bubble into which few current events seep.  My favorite story around that theme involves the Unabomber.  One day a few years ago I was at my parent's house visiting. I picked up a copy of People magazine that was sitting on the coffee table, read the front cover, and proceeded to shriek, "Mom!!  They caught the Unabomber!!!" I enjoyed a rare moment of glee in which I was, for once, the person in the know. Although my mom reads the newspaper religiously. And it was her magazine.

I swear that my mom looked at me as if she had just realized- although I'm 23 at the time - that I'm retarded as she responded dryly, "Katie....they caught the Unabomber a year and a half ago." Since then, at least once a month she orders me to read the paper after similar snafus.  The most recent one is the revelation that I have absolutely no idea who Joe the Plumber is.  I say this in present tense because it happened today.

In the middle of writing this blog my friend Tony called, who is obsessed with politics and any/all current events, regularly making me feel both guilty and stupid for my lack of interest. Although he did get in a jab or two about my general cluelessness (this is a common joke shared by many at my expense), he did say he was proud of me that I voted. I am proud that I voted for someone, yes, but it's even better that I have solid reasons behind why I voted for Obama. 

This marks a new, enlightened era for Katie Maish, I think. Hey, did you hear that the U.S. economy is in the tank? Oh, and apparently Tina Fey is the Republican vice presidential candidate. Who knew she'd make the switch from comedy to politics?

Yep, you heard it here first.

2 comments:

ABC said...

if only tina fey was actually running for office! the world would be much better off!

Sconnie Girl said...

Katie, you crack me up! I love it! I just laughed out loud about ten times reading this! :) I'm so proud of you for voting!

cmyk search