Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Crab panic

No, it's not what you think. I promise.

My husband has been out of town this week. In Miami. Eating fabulous seafood and getting massages. That, my friends, is my job. I am officially miffed.

I was feeling a little left out last night and decided to cook something and pretend for just a little bit that I was there. So, I whipped out my Low Fat and Fabulous cookbook (not off to a great start) and chose a crab soup recipe that sounded particularly simple and lovely. Off to the grocery store I went.

The Fresh Market felt too far away, so I took my chances at Schnuck's on Union (the Walgreens of grocery stores). Feeling a tad peckish, I chose the premium lump crab meat they made available to me rather than the imitation crab chunks I usually buy. Some chicken stock, an onion, and some evaporated skimmed milk later, I was in business. The cashier rang up four items that approximated a small fortune, and I handed over my debit card with a wicked smile.

Thirty minutes later, things were going fine and dandy with the soup stock until the time came to fold in the crab. I had not tasted the crab before dumping the entire pound into the pot. No. I tasted it immediately after. It was as if I decided to sample a rotten fish carcass pushed up to shore at Sardis Lake. Fishy business.

Here's what I've learned:
1. Perhaps imitation crab meat is OK for a first-time-tried soup recipe.
2. If I insist on using lump crab meat, do not go to Schnuck's.
3. If this ever happens again, do not panic. If I do panic, do not pour lemon juice into the soup in a mad attempt to neutralize the fishy flavor. This does not work.

The final product. Yeeeech.
Crab soup

The culprit.
Crab meat
Pristine soup stock. Can you ever forgive what I did to you?
Onion and chicken broth

Onions. We're going backwards in time here.
Onion and butter

No significance here: I used this to add 1/2 cup water. I just kind of like the picture.
oxo

0 comments:

cmyk search