Monday, February 8, 2010

Disbelief

This weekend I went to Vegas, Baby. I'm not a big gambler, so I decided to take in a show or two. Zumanity was gorgeous and amazing and everything you think it would be when imagining a Cirque du Soleil show. Love it and recommend it to anyone 18 or older.

Criss Angel? I have been pretty much unaware of him until now, so I had neutral expectations for his Believe show. The ads I saw posted all over Vegas promised great things - kind of a macabre Alice in Wonderland. My hopes ran high upon arrival: red velvet curtains parted just so in which an occasional puff of smoke would erupt; a lush, Victorian proscenium hanging over the stage; the creepy pluck of musical box tunes slightly off kilter. The best thing about the show was the occasional glimpse of a Cirque du Soleil dancer, unfortunately. He showed a few movies of his Mindfreak tricks, killed a fake rabbit, and punctuated attempts at a surreal narrative with tired, predictable tricks.

Anyway, if you're going to Vegas and want to see a show, I recommend Zumanity. If that is too racy, I have high hopes for Ka and O.

Here's a video that pretty much sums up my opinion of Mr. Angel.

Criss Angel: Mindfaux from Electric Spoofaloo on Take180.com

0 comments:

cmyk search