Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tilt shift

At some point in my adult life - a few years ago, maybe - I drove by my elementary school in Southaven and was shocked at how small it looked. When I was young it seemed so huge and imposing. Thinking back on it, my sixth grade teacher seemed inhuman or immortal or...I don't know, definitely not a real person...but in reality she was probably a girl in her early twenties that just got out of college. She would've been 10 to 15 years younger than I am now. Perspective can really blow your mind.

Anyway, my older brother played baseball at Cherry Valley in Southaven just down the road from the house we grew up in. I employed a tilt shift technique with the photo below using my large format camera. The point is to reduce a life-sized object so that it looks like a toy-sized version of the real thing. Particularly appropriate when trying to visually describe this phenomenon, I think.

Cherry Valley tilt shift


0 comments:

cmyk search